Buckingham Palace announced today that King Charles III has been diagnosed with cancer.
While the king did not specify what type or stage, the news comes weeks after the royal family confirmed he sought treatment for an enlarged prostate. “During The King’s recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer,” the statement read.
They also confirmed King Charles is currently undergoing regular medical treatment. While he will postpone public-facing duties, he will continue work on state business and paperwork. “He remains wholly positive about the treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible,” Buckingham Palace said. “His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer.”
The royal family has been facing a series of health issues: the Princess of Wales is currently in recovery after a planned abdominal surgery where she spent 13 days in the hospital. Although she returned from the London Clinic last week, she is not expected to return to public duties until after Easter. “The Wales family continues to be grateful for the well wishes they have received from around the world,” Kensington Palace said in a statement released on January 29.
With two of its most senior—and recognizable—members facing health crises, it is no doubt a challenging time for the royal family: their main job, after all, is being front-facing heads of state for the United Kingdom. In the meantime, family members like Princess Anne, as well as the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh, will likely take on more work on behalf of the Crown.